How A 9 Volt Battery Can Start a House Fire

After living through a fire in his own house, Dave shares the lessons he learned during his experience. In this first video, he shows how a simple 9 volt battery started his house fire. Please share this message with friends and families so that they can learn to be safe with batteries.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to How A 9 Volt Battery Can Start a House Fire

  1. Debbie says:

    Thank you

    Like

  2. Barbie says:

    Thank you! I did not know this.

    Like

  3. christina lara says:

    Thank you very much for sharing this information.I always leave batteries laying around inside my kitchen drawers. I will share this information with others.

    Like

  4. michele says:

    Thank you for the information. Wow! I had no idea…

    Like

  5. Mary Pokrentowski says:

    i had no idea this could occur. We had a fire this year in our detached garage caused by candles being used during a power outage. No one was hurt and it wasn’t actual living space but it made our family much more cautious of potential causes of fires. Thanks very much for your message. I look forward to other tips as well.

    Like

  6. Jeanne says:

    thank you for sharing. Both my husband and I found this very informative and we’d love to receive more of your videos. I thank God that you, your family and your pets made it out safely! God bless.

    Like

  7. Granny T says:

    God bless you for sharing your painful lesson! I had NO idea and am taking corrective action NOW, thanks to you!! Happy 2015!

    Like

  8. Jesse Voutour says:

    Good advice, but I have witnessed numerous pitting and burns in the telecommunication business when a DC electrical source is shorted, grounded or crossed with another source. Electrical tape and any tape for that matter can cause a short between the terminals from the type of glue that is used on it, or lack there of as the tape ages. Even humidity in the air can moisten the space under the tape. Amazingly, it is common for a spider’s web under the tape to cause trouble, which is why technicians have a special brush just for this purpose. I would suggest to use one piece of tape on one terminal and a different piece on the other and don’t allow the two pieces to come in contact with each other. Many 9 Volt batteries come in packages with a plastic insulator covering the terminals. I always save this for when I need to replace the battery. If that is not available, when I replace any battery, I insert the old battery into the package of the new battery and tape that closed before putting it into my recycle bin.

    I am sorry that you lost your home, Dave, due to this type of electrical fire. I appreciate the service you are providing through your video to try and warn the public of the potential dangers of discarded batteries. I hope you don’t mind that I added to your worthy message.

    Like

  9. Carole L Dodge says:

    Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

    Like

  10. Renee Pike Greger says:

    I didn’t know that.

    Like

  11. Andrea says:

    I would like to know more

    Like

  12. Joanne Bestwick says:

    thank you for sharing that I hope it goes viral!!!

    Like

  13. Kristy says:

    Yes please, send me more info!

    Like

  14. ianthurlby says:

    Thankyou for sharing this information..

    Like

  15. Kristi says:

    I did not know this! Thanks for letting everyone know! God bless

    Like

  16. tammy hill says:

    I did not know that and i do have a couple nine volts in a drawer . What about the double a batteries etc

    Like

  17. Marilyn manchego says:

    Thanks You for the info, I have a bag of them sitting here in my washroom drawer. Very scary and valuable information thank you again

    Like

  18. Julie Wineinger says:

    Thank you. I would really like more of these tips.

    Like

  19. Jeannette Naser says:

    Unbelievable!! I will definately start taping all of our batteries!! So sorry for the loss of your home!! Thank God no one lost their life!! Thank you so much for sharing this new info!! Who would have ever thought a fire could start from a household battery!!

    Like

  20. Sergio says:

    Thank you for the tip, I’m a handyman and I’m always changing 9v batteries on the smoke detectors, I have new ones in my tool box and the ones I change in a box in the garage, I’m on them when I finish typing here… from now on I’m going to be taping them. Thanks again.

    Like

  21. Judy says:

    thank you. I am guessing there could be a problem with loose full batteries too???

    Like

  22. David moros says:

    Thank you for posting this I am a volunteer firefighter in my community and I didn’t know that could happen and know I am going to show this to my fellow firefighters so they will know and pass this along as well.

    Like

  23. So sorry for your loss I admire your strength and desire to learn from a mistake and then to take it to the next level and share it for others to learn from is awsome May God bless you and your family

    Like

  24. bobbie says:

    Please share all and any. So I can share with my family and friends

    Like

  25. Helen Tate says:

    Thank you for helping so many people. GOD bless you

    Like

Comments are closed.